The LED technology has significantly made the street lights more eco-friendly by reducing the amount of energy consumption. However, most of the existing street lights often face the problem of energy shortages. We can end this dependency on conventional sources of energy to power the street lights by harnessing the sun's power.
LED Street Lights are popular because they are designed to produce light 90% more efficiently than any other street light. The LED technology converts almost 95% of the energy into light. On the contrary, incandescent street light bulbs convert only 10% of the energy into light while 90% is wasted as heat.
In addition to its efficiency, governments around the world are promoting the use of solar energy and LED technology to reduce their carbon footprint without compromising on the availability of energy.
How Does Solar Street Light Work?
Solar street lights are never at the risk of running out of power because they’re based on the most abundant and perpetual source of energy in the world-the sun.
They are designed to be compact and self-sufficient in terms of their power source. The solar panel captures the daylight energy and store it in the battery unit, which powers the street light as required when it is dark.
Today, most solar-powered street lights systems are controlled by sensors.
To maximize the efficiency of solar street light, we have to consider optimizing its components to reduce costs and overall energy usage. The solution is to use energy-efficient technology like LED Street Lights.
How Do I Choose The Best Solar Street Light?
The outdoor solar street lights come in different shapes, sizes, and capacities. There are many alternatives available in the solar LED street light market. Before you decide on the best solar street light, you should consider it in terms of quality, features, design, power consumption, durability, and the most important, customer service.
The choice of a solar street light depends on the place and purpose of its application. The solar street lights requirements for household use are maybe quite different from that of businesses and communities. We have gone through several brands and products of solar LED street lights to help you with your decision.
The following section includes the 10 best LED solar street lights that we picked and tested, along with their ranking and reviews.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Using LED Street Lights
Now in cities, street lights can be seen everywhere, and they provide convenience and safety for our life every day. After a long period of development, LED lights are now mostly used in street lights. Compared with high-pressure sodium lamps, the use of LED street light has more benefits.
1.It is a unidirectional light source, without light diffusion, ensuring light efficiency.
2.The LED street light has a unique secondary optical design, which irradiates the light of the lamp to the area that needs to be illuminated, while this further improves the light efficiency to achieve the purpose of energy saving.
3.The luminous efficiency of LED has reached 110-130lm/W, and there is still a lot of space for development, with a theoretical value of 360lm/W. The luminous efficiency of high-pressure sodium lamps increases with the increase of power. Therefore, the overall luminous efficiency of LED street lights is stronger than that of high-pressure sodium lamps.
4. The color rendering of LED street lights is much higher than the high pressure sodium lamps. The color rendering index of high pressure sodium lamps is only about 23, while the color rendering index of LED street lights is above 75. From the perspective of visual psychology, to achieve the same brightness, LED light is more than 20% lower than high pressure sodium lamp.
5. The light decay of LED light is small, it is less than 3% in a year, and it still meets the road requirements after 10 years of use, while the high-pressure sodium lamp has a large decay, which has dropped by more than 30% in about a year. Therefore, the design of the power of the LED street light can be lower than high-pressure sodium lamps.
6. The LED street light has an automatic control energy-saving device, which can achieve the greatest possible reduction in power and energy saving under the condition of meeting the lighting requirements at different times. It can realize computer dimming, time period control, light control, temperature control, automatic inspection and other humanized functions.
7. It can be used for more than 50,000 hours and provides three-year quality assurance. But the disadvantage is that the battery life cannot be guaranteed.
8.Using chips ≥100LM, LED street light can save more than 75% of energy compared with traditional high pressure sodium lamps.
9. It′s easy to install, no need to add buried cables, no rectifiers, etc., directly connect to the light pole or nest the light source into the original lampshade.